Tuesday, May 15, 2012

써니 Sunny (2011) & 말아톤 Marathon (2005)

The Korean Cultural Center in DC has two film screenings every month.  This month's offering is Sunny, a film about a group of high school friends in the 1980s and their reunion 25 years later.  It was quite good.  Those girls were a rough bunch.  I'd watch it again.  Here's the trailer:

 


Earlier this year they screened Marathon, which I also enjoyed.  It's based on the true story of an autistic marathon runner.  Most definitely plan to re-watch it when I have time.   The acting was superb.  I've had a few students on the autism spectrum in my classroom for the past three years, and the depiction was quite accurate.  It also gave me a bit of insight into how Korean society deals with people with disabilities. 

Also,  Jo Seung-woo, the main actor, holds a special place in my heart because, although I had been watching world cinema for a long time, his film 춘향뎐 Chunhyang (2000) was the first Korean film I really took notice of.  I watched it at Cinestudio with my friend Daniel.  When we left the theater he said "¡Que impresionante!"  Impressive indeed.  
    


Jo Seung-woo also starred in 도마뱀 Love Phobia (2006) which is another film I liked a lot.  I recommend it if you like a bit of magic realism.

WARNING:  Do not read the plot summaries on Wikipedia because they are full of spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment