Saturday, April 28, 2012

After-Church Conversation with Mrs. Star

Mrs. Star:  How's school?
Me:  Good.
Mrs. Star:  Less than two months left!
Me:  Yeah.
Mrs. Star:  Where you goin' this summer?
Me:  Korea.
Mrs. Star:  What??  Mission trip?
Me:  No---yes.
Mrs. Star:  What are you going to be doing?
Me:  Teaching English at a language school.
Mrs. Star:  You know any Korean?
Me:  Yeah, I'm learning.  I'm nowhere near fluent, but I know the basics. 
Mrs. Star:  What did your parents say?
Me:  My mother's fine with it, but I haven't told my father yet because he worries every time I travel.  He feels that if I'm far away, he can't help me if something happens. 
Mrs. Star:  Aww, he's just being protective of his baby girl.  So when are you going to tell him, from the airport?
Me:  Probably next week, in person.

Mrs. Star:  If you frame it right, it will go down easier.  You going with people you know or you know somebody who's already there?
Me:  No.
Mrs. Star:  Girl, you're too grown!  Where are you going to be, Seoul?  My brother was stationed there and he liked it a lot.  He said everything's cheap and the people are friendly. 
Me:  For one week's training, yes.  After that they'll send me where they need me.
Mrs. Star:  See, now, I don't know how I'd feel about that.  I'd like to have a choice of where I'm going.
Me:  Most of the schools are in major cities with a few in the countryside.  Either way, I don't mind where they place me.
Mrs. Star:  Oh, then it's all good.  Maybe you'll bring back a Korean husband.
Me:  I don't know about that... 
Mrs. Star:  There's some tall Koreans out there.  Don't sleep!  When I was at University of Maryland there was this guy on the lacrosse team who was FINE!  All swolle and buff.  I was like, "The Koreans I know back in New York look nothing like this!"  And he had swag, too. Don't tell me you wouldn't give somebody like that a chance just because he's Asian.
Me:  It's not that, it's just that I have to be realistic about the cultural differences.
Mrs. Star:  You're right about that.  But you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment