Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Another Awkward Exchange


Today I covered for a teacher who had a death in the family.  After lunch I sat in the staff room reading when a tall, graying teacher approached me. 
“What’s your name?”
“Guaria-sensei.”  I showed him the name tag hanging around my beck. 
“What’s your name?”
“Tajima. I’m Tajima.”
“Tajima-sensei?”
“Yes.”
“You are very tall.” 
“Yes.”
“Are you basketball player?”
“No, my sport is swimming.”
“Okay!”  With that he turned and walked away. Another awkward conversation, I think to myself.  But, honestly, I don’t mind too much, because I’ve had so few social interactions in the last two months, that I’ll even welcome a few odd exchanges. 

Kyoto-sensei, who heard us, looks up and says, “He’s our school principal.” 
“He’s the kocho-sensei?”  I can’t even hide my surprise.
“Yes.” 
Okay, then.

06/2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment