Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Korea to Japan


A post on a Facebook expat group asked if any of us had moved from Korea to Japan and why.  The following was my response: 

Lived in Korea 3.5 years.  Had a great time.  Left because I couldn’t put myself through another soul-crushing job hunt there (your photo counts more than education or experience). I miss certain other aspects, though.

Three years in Japan. I like that my apartment isn’t tied to my job, therefore making me homeless the moment a contract ends. Also, Japan has more diversity in its foreigner community because they don’t limit hiring to the Seven Magical Countries (AU, CN, EI, NZ, UK, US, SA). It’s nice to know people from African, Caribbean, and South American countries, which was rare in Korea.

Best of all, in Japan, your visa is attached to you, not your workplace. So you can change jobs and still retain your visa. Also, when you apply, they may give you a one-, three- or five-year visa (I received a three-year visa on my first try.  No running to the immigration office every 12 months.).  All that said, this is my final year. Despite having better immigration rules, Japan leaves too much to be desired for me to consider settling here. West Africa, here I come, corona willing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment