Monday, March 30, 2020

Harpies’ Hat Issue

On Wednesday, January 8th, the two co-teachers at Chujo Junior High School, Ms Shibuya and Ms Kojima, complained to Ms Ochiai that I wear my neck warmer and ear warmer during class. They said students cannot wear them, so I shouldn’t either.

The next day, I did not wear either thing in class. However, I did wear the hat during lunch with the Class 1-2 because they had the windows open. About 15 minutes into the lunch period, Ms Shibuya came into the room and asked me to go out into the hall. She and Ms Kojima scolded me for wearing the hat during lunch. I reminded them that they had told me not to wear it during class lessons. They said, they meant for me not to wear it in the building at all. They said that if I didn’t take off the hat I should eat in the staff room. I said, fine, starting the next day I’ll eat in the staff room, but I had already started lunch, so I was going to stay in the classroom. They continued arguing for about five minutes. Finally, I told them that my food was getting cold and we can discuss this after lunch. They followed me back into the classroom and continued arguing. Ms Kojima raised her voice at me (in front of the students and their homeroom teacher). I told her to lower her voice because she would not like it if I shouted at her. They left.

At 15:55 the co-teachers called me to continue with the issue of wearing the hat outside of class. They had an audio recorder, so I also recorded the meeting on my phone. I explained to them that where I grew up in the U.S. is further north and colder than Saitama and Gunma, however, all buildings, have central heating. Therefore, one only feels cold when outside. In Japan, schools rely on space heaters and wall-mounted heating units. Since they grew up here, they’re accustomed to being cold while indoors. I am not used to being cold while indoors. They said, it’s not Japanese culture to wear hats in the building and I need to follow the rules that all the teachers have agreed to in April. I asked to see these rules. They said they are not written. I said that it’s unfair to wait until I break a rule to tell me that the rule exists. If they’re going to be such sticklers about enforcing rules, then it’s only reasonable that they be written and provided in advance so that people know what is expected. Ms Shibuya told me that I should go work in another school.

They want me to not wear a hat at all anywhere in the building. I want to wear a hat all day because the building is cold. Not only is it poorly heated, the doors and windows are often open, letting in cold air. However, I proposed a compromise to not wear a hat during English lessons. They refused my proposal.

The meeting ended at about 15:15.

The last week of classes in December I was sick. I spent half of the winter vacation recuperating. I do not want to risk getting sick again.

I had a good relationship with my co-workers at the school in Gunma. I also have a good relationship with those at my two assigned elementary schools. These two women are the only ones who have a problem with every little thing I do.

I feel unsafe. I’ve never worked in such a hostile environment. I want to stay until the end of the school year, but I do not know if I can endure this bullying and emotional abuse until March.  

January 13, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment