Monday, March 30, 2020

Sorry, I'm not from Kenya

While walking around my Korean town a silver van pulled up next to me and a woman in the passenger side waved at me trying to get my attention. I almost ignored her because I thought she might belong to one of those cults (World Mission Society Church of God & Manam/Shinchonji) that had tried to recruit me last year. I thought better of it and guardedly slowed my pace to see what she wanted. The following exchange came next:

Excuse me! Excuse me! How did you come here?
Walking.
한국어를말해요?
아니오.
Are you teacher?
Yes.
At primary school or middle school?
At the English village.
Where are you from?
The U.S.
Oh…the U.S….[sounding disappointed]…not East Africa?
No.
I lived in Kenya and it make me happy to see your face!
Oh!
Have a nice day! (waving and bowing)
Thank you! (waving and bowing)
See you again!
Okay!
[van drove away]
I was tickled. 


December 24, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment