Friday, April 17, 2020

Countryside vs City

When I started thinking about living in South Korea, Seoul was not on my list of preferred places.  In fact, I had no list, I just knew that there were 15 U.S. military bases on the peninsula, and I didn’t want to live near any of them.  When I began planning my move to Japan, I did have a list of places I want to live in, but Tokyo was not on it. 



Why not Seoul and Tokyo?  After all, they’re vibrant capitals with many museums, restaurants, cultural attractions, night clubs and lots to see and do.  Firstly, everybody and their cousin wants to live and work in those two cities, therefore, there is more competition for jobs there.  Secondly, the bigger the city, the higher the rent and general cost of living.  This is true everywhere on the planet.  Thirdly, it’s easy to get figuratively lost in a big city.  The pace is faster, people are busier, you are less likely to know your neighbors and make connections with people.



As it happens, I ended up in a very rural part of Gunma, Japan.  While my two years there were a positive experience, once I got settled in and figured out how transportation works in that area, I began making regular trips to surrounding areas, and, later, Tokyo, which I really enjoyed, but was happy to return to my peaceful apartment by the river. 


The countryside and big cities both have their advantages.  For me, I’d rather live somewhere in between.  Not stiflingly rural where all eyes are constantly on you, but not too urban where nobody notices you and everything is expensive.   

No comments:

Post a Comment