Monday, April 13, 2020

Sharing a Taxi to Hanam-shi, Again

On another occasion, I missed the last bus to Hanam and stood at the bus stop waiting for a taxi to pass by.  I spied a young woman looking as if she, too, was waiting for a taxi.  Emboldened by my previous success, I approached her and asked where she was going and told her where I was going.  Our destinations were not far from each other, so we decided that we’d take the next taxi together.  


When we got into the taxi, she told the driver our destination.  The driver was curious about the foreigner, so he asked her questions about me.  She had no answers.  She told him that we weren’t friends; we’d just met at the bus stop, and decided to ride together.  He thought that was the most hilarious thing ever.  He laughed so hard that I thought we were going to swerve off the road.   


As we neared our stop, she began to fidget nervously.  She probably was trying to figure out how to ask me for my half of the ₩900 fare.  When the taxi was a block away, I handed her a ₩500 bill.  She looked visibly relieved.  Upon exiting the taxi, we waved at each other and said goodnight.  Another success with my busted Korean skills.         


September 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment