Friday, April 17, 2020

Japanese and Korean Work Culture

Half the staff at one of my schools have colds, which is not comfortable to be around;  especially since we’re in the middle of the COVID-19 crisis.  Show up at work bleary-eyed, sneezing, coughing and sniffling in the West and your co-workers and administrators will be angry that you’re putting them and students at risk of also getting sick.    Here, when someone shows up to work sick, they get congratulated for being so dedicated and hardworking. 



It makes no sense because, if you have a cold and stay home and rest for one or two days, it will be gone in no time.  Barrel through and work 60+ hours per week while you’re sick, and that cold will drag on for three weeks; even with medication.  Japanese and Korean people don’t call out from work unless they are in hospital or dying.  It’s just as well because some employers don’t even offer sick days.  If you need to stay home, they make you use your vacation days. 



When I taught in Washington, DC, I started coming down with a cold one morning.  By the time the school day had ended, I looked and felt awful.  After school my department held a meeting.  As I sat there trying to follow the discussion, the head teacher looked at me and said, “Ms. Lindo are you okay?  You look terrible!”  I told her that I wasn’t feeling well.  She wrapped up the meeting, and told me to go home, and take a day off---two if necessary.  “Just be sure to leave plans for the substitute teacher.”  The only way that ever happens here is if your employer is foreign.     


March 5, 2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment