Friday, April 17, 2020

My Dispatch Company Cons

I faired pretty well with my dispatch company.  With only about 30 teachers, it’s a small one.  All the schools it supplies are in northern Saitama or southern Gunma.  They pay by the month, not per day or per hour, which is great.  Some of my friends work for companies that will subtract money from their salary if they leave work an hour early for a doctor’s appointment.  Not so with mine.   I have two main issues with my company. 




(1) They pay cash.  Cash!  In the year 2020!  Never in my life had I ever before been paid cash for full-time or part-time work.   In Korea and the U.S., as soon as you get hired they ask for your bank information so they can set up direct deposit.  With my company here, each month I get an envelope stuffed with ¥10000, ¥5000 and ¥1000 notes along with some coins and a tiny pay stub.  The amount is always accurate, so I’m not worried about not getting what I’ve earned.  It’s just that one month’s salary in cash is not the type of money you want to be carrying around. 



When the company began in the 1980s, paying people cash was probably the norm, but times change.  Japanese people are loathe to change, though.  “This is the way we’ve always done it.  Why change?”  So typical.  After I set up my bank account, I asked Ochiai-san, the company owner, if she could do direct deposit.  She refused.  “If I do that, I won’t see you once a month.”  When you do see me, you talk for 2.5 minutes and then you’re on your way back down the mountain.  So what’s the point?



At first, she was expecting me to go to her office in Saitama to pick up my salary.  That’s five hours and ¥4000 roundtrip.  No way.  People with cars or those who live paycheck-to-paycheck can do that mess.  



My school was the most remote of all the schools serviced by the company.  All the others are in easily accessible small cities and towns.  In order to reach the village, you have to drive up a windy mountain road.  Although Ochiai-san drives herself everywhere else, she’s afraid of driving on the mountainous road that leads to my Gunma village, so whenever she goes, her secretary, husband or IT guy drive her.  I guess sometimes she was unable to get someone to driver her, so I sometimes got two or three months’ salary at once.  Lucky for her, I’m good with money, so I can be patient.   




My second year, the new elementary English teacher was a recent university grad from the U.S.  He was up to his neck in debt, had no budgeting skills and liked to spend money unnecessarily.  He often had very little money left at the end of the pay period.  So when payday was approaching, he talked about nothing else.  And then he would take the bus to the town at the bottom of the mountain ( ¥2500 roundtrip) where Ochiai-san would meet him with his envelope.  Not I. 



This is why there are so many money frauds in Japan that don’t exist anywhere else, because people walk around with wads of cash rather than use cards or do electronic transfers.  My co-teacher told me that several of our co-workers do not trust ATMs and only go to the bank when tellers are open.  These people are in their 40s and 50s, not old at all. 



(2) Most of its teachers have Japanese ancestry or are married to Japanese people and have been living here for more than ten years.  That’s a problem for a newcomer like me because they’re not used to providing teachers with the help that other companies (with single, foreign teachers) are accustomed to providing. 



When my boss went with me to find an apartment in Saitama, it was her first time ever doing such a thing.  When we finished the hours-long process, she exclaimed at how involved it all was.   She’s been in business some 35 years and had never helped an employee get an apartment. When it came time to move, I asked if her husband could drive my stuff from Gunma to Saitama in his pickup truck.  “Find a moving company online,” she said, flippantly.  Bitch, what?  Do I look like a hafu to you?  Do I have a Japanese husband or relative to help me with that?  I can read katakana and hiragana, but websites are full of kanji.  And how would I even begin to find a moving company online?  I’m a very independent person and try to do as much for myself as I can. So when I ask for help, it’s with great effort and it’s because I really need it.  Don’t wave me off just because other employees don’t need the same help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment