Monday, April 13, 2020

Sharing a Taxi to Hanam-shi


A drawback to having your job provide housing, as many Korean teaching jobs do, is that the moment your contract ends, you’re essentially homeless.  Technically, you have three days to vacate, but still.  So when I was in between jobs, Shanté was graciously opened the door to her small place in Hanam while a hunted for another job.  


Last night I missed the last bus to Hanam.* As I waited for a taxi to come by, I noticed a middle-aged couple dressed in hiking gear at the bus stop. I thought of what to say, then worked up the courage to approach the wife. 


어디가세요?” I asked. Turns out they were going to the same city. 


나도,” I said, immediately realizing that that wasn’t the formal way of saying it. Should I have said 나도요?  What about저도요?  Too late. 


She asked what neighborhood I was going to, then called out to her husband that I was going to the same place. Without hesitation, he said “같이 가자!” Then, realizing he’d spoken to me in Korean, shouted “Together, together!” 


He flagged down a taxi and we jumped in. As we were nearing our destination, I offered the wife half the fare and she swatted my hand away. Again, I tried to hand her the money and she forcefully shoved my hand away. I thanked her. The husband paid and we all got out. We bowed and said goodbye. I thanked them again and we parted ways. 



*The following year work began on a metro station in Hanam. 
Aug 24, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment